Engineering Project Manager
Remote (Proximity to Schenectady, NY or Cambridge, MA a plus)
Malta Inc. is a young and dynamic company involved in the development of a novel and advanced energy storage technology. Malta's technology was developed by Google and leading international researchers, including a Nobel Laureate, and represents the state-of-the-art in utility-scale renewable energy storage. The company has completed multiple fundraising rounds and is growing rapidly. Malta's investors/partners are some of the largest and best-known tech and industrial companies in the world.
Malta's technology is a critical steppingstone for the transition from fossil power to green renewable energy resources. Malta is located in Cambridge, MA but operates globally with a range of international project partners, investors, and clients. For more information, please see www.maltainc.com.
The Project Manager will oversee development plans, including schedule and budget, for Malta’s grid-scale Pumped Heat Energy Storage plant solution, focusing on detailed engineering and design improvement initiatives as well as project coordination with strategic technology partners. Project plans will include integrated product development schedules and budgets for multiple concurrent workstreams that support product development and site-specific plant design. This position will interface with engineering teams, strategic partners, contractors and EPCs. The Project Manager will report on project status, risks and key decision points and will help to identify resource needs, define priorities and set deadlines.
This position requires strong communication and leadership skills to manage project schedules and deliverables with strategic partners and internal team members. Applicants should also have clear thinking skills for real-time risk management and solution implementation in a fast-moving startup environment. The Project Manager will report to the Vice President of Engineering. The role has the potential to lead into project management of construction, commissioning, validation testing, and site commercialization. Responsibilities may include:
- Develop and maintain engineering project schedules and Gantt charts
- Track budgets across multiple engineering programs
- Coordinate and lead meetings across engineering teams and partners
- Coordinate schedules and deliverables across engineering teams and partners and drive to meet schedules, coordinating with leadership on schedule and budget risks and resource needs.
- Support commercial project development schedules and planning
- Manage document sharing and exchange with strategic partners, OEMs, EPCs and customers
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited College or University
- 5+ years of project management experience within the engineering field
- Project management experience for complex engineering projects
- Proficient in project management software (e.g., MS Project)
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, high-tech, high-profile start-up where decisions and progress must be made with imperfect information
- Knowledge of power plant equipment, operations, and construction
- Combined-cycle plant, Chemical process plant, and/or concentrated solar power (CSP) plant experience
- Experience with Tier 1 or Tier 2 EPC for building large-scale power plant projects, ideally one or more projects deploying novel technologies
- Experience with various productivity tools (e.g., Smartsheet)
- Experience interfacing with EPCs and Independent Engineers
- Experience with project development steps for large projects including permitting processes
- Construction management experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Very organized and detail-oriented
- Deep passion for decarbonization of the global electricity grid
Expected to be remote, Proximity to Schenectady, NY or Greater Boston area, MA a plus
Malta is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all employees.
To apply please send your resume to Jobs@maltainc.com. Please include the job title in the email subject line.