Technical Lead - System Integration
Remote (Proximity to Schenectady, NY or Cambridge, MA a plus)
Malta Inc. is a young and dynamic company involved in the development of a novel and advanced energy storage technology. Malta's technology was developed by Google and leading international researchers, including a Nobel Laureate, and represents the state-of-the-art in utility-scale renewable energy storage. The company has completed multiple fundraising rounds and is growing rapidly. Malta's investors/partners are some of the largest and best-known tech and industrial companies in the world.
Malta's technology is a critical stepping stone for the transition from fossil power to green renewable energy resources. Malta is located in Cambridge, MA but operates globally with a range of international project partners, investors, and clients. For more information, please see www.maltainc.com.
We are looking for a System Integration Technical Leader who will be responsible for leading the plant system integration and the plant layout development with engineering partners and the internal team for application in Malta’s grid-scale Pumped Heat Energy Storage plant solution. The scope includes PowerCore, Energy island, and balance of plant development work from detailed design, through installation and validation. In this role, you will be overseeing engineering partners and EPC work to ensure that plant design aligns with the system requirements, cost, and schedule. You will work closely with Malta’s turbomachinery and heat exchanger OEM partners and internal Technical Leads for turbomachinery and heat exchangers to manage interface requirements for the seamless integration of these technologies within the overall plant design. The System Integration Technical Lead will report to the Director of Product and Design Development. Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the large-size plant design and improvement programs all the way through field validation
- Own the plant system and sub-system level requirements including performance, total installed cost, schedule, availability, and reliability, and drive system design to optimize requirements on a plant lifecycle basis
- Interface with equipment OEMs and EPC and lead plant and sub-system level integration for the system, mechanical, electrical, and civil/structural design at every phase of the design process
- Provide hardware/system level input and support plant and sub-system operability definition and analysis
- Support developing performance guarantee and performance testing structure between Malta and the OEM and EPC
- Lead developing plant commissioning and testing plan and support site commissioning activities
- Define the plant system and sub-systems operation and maintenance plan and spare parts strategy for the warranty period and plant lifecycle
- Apply creative and innovative solutions to reduce total installed cost and cycle time
- Support commercial and business development teams for discussions with potential customers
- Mentor and lead junior-level engineers on plant system and sub-system design
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited College or University
- Minimum of 10 years experience in a large-size power plant or industrial plant system design and integration
- Experience with turbomachinery and heat exchanger technology integration, commissioning, performance testing, and operation
- Proven experience in driving projects from concept to successful completion
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, high-tech, high-profile start-up where decisions and progress must be made with imperfect information
- Ability to interface effectively with OEMs, vendors, EPC, and external customers
- Availability to travel domestically and internationally for partner meeting, site visits, conferences, etc.
Preferred skills and background:
- At least 5 years of experience in high-temperature (e.g., molten salt) and/or sub-zero-temperature (e.g., cryogenics) applications
- Prior experience with heat exchangers, gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, and accessory sub-system integration, design, and operation
- Deep understanding of thermodynamic cycles and experience with steady-state modeling tools like Ebsilon, Thermoflex
- Understanding of system dynamics and transients and their effects on component sizing and performance
- Previous cost-out experience with plant systems and sub-systems
- Experience with plant/system/sub-system level Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), HAZOP, SIL assessment, and reliability/availability modeling
- Strong oral and written communication skills (can synthesize complex, multi-dimensional information in compelling collateral for executive and technical teams)
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Very organized and detail-oriented
- Deep passion for decarbonization of the global electricity grid
Malta is an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all employees.
To apply please send your resume to Jobs@maltainc.com. Please include the job title in the email subject line.